9:00 am- 5:00 pm

Hours Mon. - Fri. (Sat. & Sun. by appt. only)




Where Can I Get a Copy of My Bankruptcy Discharge Papers?

GeorgetteMillerLaw.com > Bankruptcy  > Where Can I Get a Copy of My Bankruptcy Discharge Papers?

Where Can I Get a Copy of My Bankruptcy Discharge Papers?

Where Can I Get a Copy of My Bankruptcy Discharge Papers

Once your bankruptcy concludes, you will receive what is known as a bankruptcy discharge which states that your case is now closed and all debts included are no longer enforceable. Creditors listed in the petition can no longer contact you about your debt or file any legal proceedings against you. It is important to keep this document as you may need to present it should you apply for a loan in the future. However, if you have misplaced your discharge documents, you can still obtain a copy if you need it for any reason.

Contact the Clerk of the Court

The first place to check when you need a copy of your bankruptcy discharge papers is with the Clerk of the Court where your case was filed. Some courts will allow you to search the record online for free, while others charge a fee for searches. If you need copies of the document, there will be a fee as well. Copies of the document are often a charge per page. If it has been many years, the case may have been archived, so additional fees may apply.


Public Access to Court Records (PACER) is an electronic public access service that provides information on cases filed in federal court. In order to search the database, you must register with PACER, which is free. However, there are fees depending on how often you use the service. There is normally a ten cent per page retrieval fee, but if you spend less than $15 each quarter of the year, the service is free. You may need your case number in order to search the database.

Online Paid Services

It is not unusual to see services online that offer to send you your discharge documents for a fee, sometimes as high as $40 or more. These services are often not reputable and you may never get your documents. Try to avoid using such services and obtain your documents through the court clerk or PACER to be sure you are not the victim of a scam.

If you or a loved one is dealing with financial difficulty, bankruptcy may be the answer so you can stop the creditor calls and get back on your financial feet. Contact our office today to learn more about bankruptcy filing. You can call us to arrange for a no obligation consultation or complete the simple form online.