What to look for in a NYC Bankruptcy Attorney
Choosing the right bankruptcy lawyer to handle your case is easy when you know exactly what to look for in an attorney. There are a few basic qualifications to check for prior to scheduling a consultation, and important questions you need to ask once meeting. If you feel that one person meets or exceeds all of your standards, then you can feel confident moving forward with their services.
The Basic Criteria
Asking for referrals online or through friends that have gone through a similar situation is one way to find a lawyer you can depend on. On the other hand, doing your own research is a valuable opportunity to find resources that possess all of the following important qualities.
- Relevant Experience: The amount of cases represented is a clear indication of how knowledgeable and familiar a particular attorney is with bankruptcy law. Be wary of anyone that only handles Chapter 13 because it’s likely that they’re pushing this type of case even if it’s not necessary.
- Aptitude: The best way to figure out if a lawyer is actually good that their job is through previous client experiences. Again, years practicing is not as important as an eagerness to work hard for clients. If possible, speak with former clients to understand the overall competence of representation.
- Affordability: Price is not one of the most important points to consider when choosing a lawyer, but it needs to be affordable for your budget. Agreeing to pay high fees is not a promise that you’ll be treated as a real person, nor will giving your money to the cheapest guy in town.
- Initial Consultation: It’s ideal for a lawyer to offer a free meeting to give potential clients a chance to become acquainted without making any sort of agreement. Even if there is a fee for consultation, it’s worth it to know if you can feel comfortable and confident answering the following questions in regards to their personal qualities.
- Do They Make You Feel Like A Priority? Working in an NYC legal firm can be a very busy profession, but clients deserve to feel that their case is urgent. Difficulty scheduling an appointment or having phone calls ignored indicates that either the lawyer does not care or is far too overwhelmed to be considered for the job.
- Are Their Recommendations Fitting? A good lawyer offers solutions after hearing the unique circumstances involved in a case. If you feel like their suggestions aren’t sound, it’s okay to keep looking for the right attorney.
- Do You Like Their Personality? Aside from legal experience and knowledge, you should feel at ease and confident building a personal relationship with your bankruptcy attorney.
Once all of the research is completed, you can feel confident hiring the right attorney for your case. Place a call to 1-866-96-GMLAW to find out how our firm can assist you with locating a NYC Bankruptcy Lawyer.